The symbol of the town of Lovech and the only covered bridge in the Balkans was built in the period 1874 - 1876 by the Bulgarian genius of Renaissance construction and architecture - Kolio Ficheto. Built over the Osam River, in the city center, the bridge attracts with its shops, cafes and incredible breathtaking views of nature that enveloped this beautiful Bulgarian town. The bridge connects the new, modern part of the city with the architectural and historical reserve "Varosha", where you can enjoy over 200 historical and architectural monuments of local and national importance - the Vasil Levski Museum, the ethnographic complex, the Lovech Medieval Fortress, the churches " Dormition of the Virgin Mary and Holy Sunday, and many others.
The covered bridge in Lovech has been built several times. According to travelers and local documents, the first bridge was built in the 30 years of the 19 century. It was demolished by surging waters and rebuilt in 1871, but the bridge was again swept away by the river. Thus, the task of making a stable bridge rests with the Bulgarian architect Nikola Fichev (Kolyo Ficheto), who fortifies it with seven hand-carved stone foundations. The bridge is made entirely of wood, using wooden wedges in the joints. Its length is 84 m and width 10 m. The upper parts of the stone foundations are decorated with sculptural images of a lion, a two-headed eagle, a female bust and a staff with a top. In addition, the bridge is remarkable for the fact that it has built-in small shops - 64 in number. It was an original covered bazaar, a noisy market that was of great commercial importance. In addition to the shops, there were also craft workshops, gaiters, tinsmiths, bakkers, a barber shop and a cafe. Unfortunately, the bridge burned in the summer of 1925.
Next year, the construction of the new covered bridge in the town of Lovech begins with the project of architect Olekov, which lasted until 1931. In 1981 it was reconstructed by architect Zlatev and acquires its present appearance, reminiscent of the style of Kolyo Ficheto.
Today, the bridge houses three workshops, nine shops and two pastry shops and is one of the most beautiful symbols of the town of Lovech.