Founded in the first half of the 13 century, the Klisura Monastery was one of the main centers of spiritual life during the First Bulgarian State. It is located near the town of Berkovitsa, at the foot of the mountain peak Todorini dolls, in the valley of the river Vreshtitsa. In the past it has been nicknamed the Vreshtech Monastery.
During the years when Bulgaria was under Ottoman yoke, the monastery was destroyed and the place remained for long forgotten. It was not until 1742 that he was restored with donations from clergymen. About a century later, in 1862, Turkish troops again burned and plundered the monastery, killing more than 120.
In the middle of the 19 century, the locals once again rebuilt the holy cloister, built the engine room and the temple "St. St. Cyril and Methodius. " Thus, a whole monastery complex with church and farm buildings was gradually formed, which was one of the centers for the development of Bulgarian education and literature, and for the promotion of the Christian faith. The main church was restored only after the Liberation, when its iconostasis was made.
In 1991, the traditional celebration of Epiphany was restored by the river of the monastery. The improvement of the interior space of the complex, as well as the construction of the chapel “St. Nicholas ".
During the 2000, the so-called "monastery" was discovered in the holy place of the Klisura Monastery 'Living water', which is considered to be curative.
Since 2008, the Klisura Monastery has functioned as a convent.
There is an iconic atelier where the novices make various sacred and everyday objects, as well as icons, following the traditions of the ancient Ohrid school. All these shrines can be found in the special church shop on the territory of the monastery.
During the 2012, the "Museum of Church History" of the Vidin Diocese was opened here. It presents the history of the Klisura Monastery from its inception to the present day.
Among the most valuable exhibits here are the hefty whole 25 kg gold-plated Gospel made in Russia in 1894, as well as the even older Gospel from 1778, donated to the monastery by Russian Emperor Nicholas II.
The museum has many old icons and illuminated church objects. Most impressive are the icons of "St. Virgin of 1688, as well as the silver icon of "St. Alexander Nevsky 'from 1877, donated by Emperor Alexander II to one of his generals.
In one of the windows of the museum are kept the liturgical clothes, the staff and the silver icon of the first Bulgarian Exarch Antim I.
Today, the Klisura Monastery is one of the most attractive centers for both spirituality and rest and relaxation. Together with Orthodox organizations, camps are organized here every year for children from all over the country. Mountain excursions, horseback riding, concerts and exhibitions are on offer. The Klisura Monastery also features a Mountain Recreation Park, which has a base of over 80 beds and offers traditional Bulgarian dishes. Children's playgrounds and playgrounds have been specially built for the youngest. All this combined with the beautiful nature here make the Klisura Monastery a spiritual oasis for both Orthodox pilgrims and numerous tourists.